Tradition!

Although Drew had to spend Christmas this year sans his famille, his mama made sure he would have at least some small bits of a Barnes Family Christmas by providing us with sugar cookie dough, cookie cutters, and festive sprinkles - the makings of our very own rendition of their cookie decorating tradition (other years are here and here). Typically, this little tradition is carried out well before Christmas, so the cookies can be enjoyed and then left out for dear Santa; however, jobs and schedules and travels south meant that Christmas came and went this year and our dough remained unbaked and sprinkles unsprinkled. So, a few days after Christmas, eager to keep the holidays happening for just a little longer, we got out that dough and got to cookie cutting, baking, and decorating. Compared to the massive decorating operation that usually goes down around the Barnes' table, our version was quite a bit smaller (and significantly less messy), but no less tasty.

^ This may go without saying, but I am not responsible for the creation of this busty lady. ^

So, we kept the Christmas cookie tradition intact this year, even if we were late and even if it wasn't quite the same as it is when additional Barneses are involved. I also kept another tradition-in-the-making alive by making a few new ornaments again this year for our rather homely Christmas tree. In years past, I've made glittery string snowballs, finger-knitted garland, painted clear bulbs, and sewn felt stars and fabric birds. This year, I added cinnamon dough ornaments to the mix. These were actually scheduled to be last year's addition to the Christmas tree; I even purchased some small cookie cutters and 6 containers of ground cinnamon from Honks in Provo, but I never got around to making them. So, when we moved, I packed up the supplies and brought them with us, and then determinedly carved out some time for making them this year over Thanksgiving Break. They were super simple - just applesauce and cinnamon! - and, though inedible, they smelled delicious while baking and hardening in the oven. I figure that if I keep this tradition up, we'll have a fully decorated tree in no time without the expense of purchasing a bunch of ornaments or the headache of trying to make them all at once. Drew grew up with an eclectic, kid-produced Christmas tree, while I grew up with very intentionally and meticulously decorated ones. By making my own ornaments each year, our tree has become a nice compromise, filled with meaningful, handmade ornaments that just happen to match.


With a baby baking, we found ourselves thinking a little more seriously this year about what we hope Christmas will look like around our home in the future. It's still pretty vague and dreamy at this point, but thanks to childhoods filled with excellent Christmases, parents who continue to be memory-makers and memory-keepers, and a common love for the Christmas season, we have plenty of good material to work with as we gradually define and grow our own traditions.

Comments

Popular Posts