When Mama and Sister Came to Visit
There are quite a few perks to living in Raleigh, like free vegetables (and even eggs) from the gardens of friends and family, an abundance of trees, and quick access to the beach. But the best perk of all continues to be our proximity to family and the opportunity for quick and frequent visits. Last week, my mom and sister made the 7ish-hour drive to North Carolina for a long weekend in the Triangle with Drew and me.
It's been a long time since the three of us have spent so much time together under one roof, and it's been really fun (and I think it's really important, too) to get reacquainted as adults. With our new digs in our new geographic location, we'll be able to rinse and repeat monthly, weekly, and even (soon, with Jenn) daily. I can't wait.
On Friday...
Drew worked. Boo. My mom, sister, and I headed to Smithfield, NC for some tax-free weekend shopping at the outlet mall. Nannie met us there for a few hours, to have lunch and wander through a few stores. It was, as always, good to see her, and I'm glad Jenn got to spend some time with her while she was in town. When Drew got home, we ordered pizza and Greek salad from Marco's and ate dinner by the pool, then finished the evening with episode after episode of New Girl.
| ^ I think I know where I got my hands from in this family. ^ |
On Saturday...
Drew went to Charlottesville to help Aaron and Jaimie move into their new east coast apartment.
My mom, sister, and I started the day at the gym, then had lunch at On the Border, and then walked next door for frozen yogurt. We kept the food theme going at the Raleigh State Farmer's Market, which quickly became one of my favorite places. I wanted to touch or eat or buy or grow everything I saw. There were succulents forever and heirloom tomatoes and varieties of eggplant I've never heard of, not to mention North Carolina-caught seafood, fresh-squeezed lemonade, and homemade apple butter. Sounds like paradise to me. I'll definitely be back, next time hopefully with Drew in tow.
On Sunday...
Drew and I went to church for an hour, and then met my mom and sister at Shearon Farms to show them around. Drew introduced Jenn to the sales agents at Dan Ryan Builders, who happened to be hiring, and she quickly scored an interview for the next day with the boss man. After a quick lunch, we attempted to go canoeing at Umstead State Park, but the boat house was already closed for the day, due, they said, to staff shortages. Since the weather was perfect, we opted for a good walk around the lake and through the woods instead. After a few hours, we came home and cooked the shrimp and okra we got at the farmer's market. You just can't beat a day in the woods or local fare.
| ^ Who knew that all this time, dragonflies were wearing smiles? ^ |
On Monday...
We started the day at the gym again, and then I had lunch with Drew while my mom and sister spent some time by the pool. After lunch, Jennifer had her interview with the Division Sales Manager
and got the job. on the spot.
Girl's got skills. So, she and Koda will be relocating to Raleigh and bunking with us while she puts down some roots. I'm so excited for her and thrilled to have her close by. Now if only I could get a job that quickly. After an impromptu shopping trip for some new work clothes, we celebrated Jenn's new job and wrapped up our long weekend together with dinner at Carrabba's.
It's been a long time since the three of us have spent so much time together under one roof, and it's been really fun (and I think it's really important, too) to get reacquainted as adults. With our new digs in our new geographic location, we'll be able to rinse and repeat monthly, weekly, and even (soon, with Jenn) daily. I can't wait.










I so miss that farmer's market. Go at Halloween to get your pumpkin. And in May all the strawberries! So jealous of you!
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
DeleteThe grass is always greener, I'm afraid. I've had a few moments of homesickness for Utah lately - the mountain air, the bug-free living, the lack of humidity... You've got a great thing going out there, too. :)
DeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDelete