Grady and Genevieve's Farm

After a thorough body-check for ticks and any other critters that might have hitchhiked their way from Eno River State Park into our apartment (against the odds, we didn't find any) and a quick nap (what else are Saturdays really for?), we headed out again on Saturday evening to spend a little more time in Mother Nature's good graces. Since moving to Raleigh, and since meeting Grady a few weeks ago, Drew and I have been meaning to visit the (other) Barnes' farm. I had heard only great things from a wide range of people, and I knew that a visit would provide our imaginations more material with which to weave lofty dreams of our own future homestead. Well, now we've visited, and jealous doesn't begin to capture how we feel about that little farm; we're impressed and enamored, inspired and eager. Here's why: 


Aren't you feeling it a little, too? Some excitement at the prospect of living so productively instead of consumptively? A desire to stick your fingers in the ground and make it fruitful? I, for one, imagine there's nothing quite like watching hard work and sunshine transform a bunch of dirt into delicious, nutritious food on the table (and everyone else's tables, too). We're grateful Grady and Genevieve are so generous with their little piece of Heaven (I mean that - they're actively creating a little corner of this planet, and that's divine). We'll be eating blueberries for a year thanks to an afternoon with them, and I'm sure we'll be dreaming of chickens and goats and tomatoes and canning jars for much, much longer.

Comments

Popular Posts