A Day in the Life
Last Thursday, with my boss' vacation aligning with Drew's reading days for finals, we played bring-your-husband-to-work-day, just for the fun of it. While he studied for exams and handled the far more exciting business of fielding phone calls and e-mails from potential employers, I did what I always do, Monday through Friday, 8am to 4pm - extracted a frog brain and tested its singing skills. Reliably camera-happy, Drew did a good job capturing (the not-too-gross parts of) a day in the life of a technician in a neuroscience/electrophysiology lab. It's glamorous, I tell you. Just glamorous.
I'll be leaving this job behind pretty soon, and I'm already counting down the days in terms of froggy lives - there are no more than 10 frogs swimming between me and our easterly move. When I first started this job, I had many, many days where I wasn't quite sure I could stick with it. I tried to find other opportunities that were better paying, closer to home, and more relevant to what I like and know how to do, but nothing materialized, and, in the end, I think I'm glad, for a few reasons.
I'll be leaving this job behind pretty soon, and I'm already counting down the days in terms of froggy lives - there are no more than 10 frogs swimming between me and our easterly move. When I first started this job, I had many, many days where I wasn't quite sure I could stick with it. I tried to find other opportunities that were better paying, closer to home, and more relevant to what I like and know how to do, but nothing materialized, and, in the end, I think I'm glad, for a few reasons.
- First, we can't overlook the blessing of a benefited, full-time, time-limited position for a recent grad these days. We've maintained a savings account and health insurance for the past year; those things alone are probably enough to consider this job a successful one.
- Second, the flexibility of this job has been unbeatable, allowing us to spend Thanksgiving in Georgia, soak up a long Christmas Break with Drew's family, and maintain getting back to the east coast as a priority.
- Third, my boss has been a great example of how to be a woman actively involved in both science and family life, and that has been a really valuable lesson for me.
- And finally, aside from all of that, I have learned a lot about topics I never would have pursued on my own, mastered Utah's public transportation system, and potentially contributed to field of neuroscience. Potentially.

Comments
Post a Comment