Resolute

While I like to think I'm a relatively forward-thinking person - someone who lives today in a way that makes tomorrow more promising - I'm not, never have been, probably never will be, a very good planner or goal-setter. Budgets? Blech. Goals? No thanks, I'm okay. Meal plans? How am I supposed to predict the whims of my belly days or weeks in advance? I've been told I get this optimistic, one-day-at-a-time, it'll-work-out attitude from my papa, so I'll take it. Maybe this little character trait is borne of a distaste for guilt, especially creating unnecessary, self-inflicted sources of it. Maybe I don't like change or structure or limits. Maybe I'm just lazy. Either way, this year, I'm going against the genetic grain and making a few new year's resolutions, perhaps for the very first time.


Clearly, there is nothing on the following list regarding procrastination, since this post is a little [ahem, almost a month] tardy. Let's blame that unfortunate detail on our computers, both of which are on the fritz, and move right along to those resolutions.

In 2013, I'd like to be:

..Louder.. Not in terms of volume, per se, but I have a tendency to avoid confrontation - actual or potential - and sometimes that means not speaking my mind. I read a lot, I think a lot, I have lots of questions and just as many thoughts, so I should probably stop being a conversational sponge and start sharing what's in this head of mine. I won't abandon my habit of mulling over what everyone else is saying before chiming in myself, and, of course, I plan to step on no toes, hurt no feelings, and burn no bridges in this little endeavor, but everyone needs to be heard, and heard I shall try to be.
So, specifically, I'm going to start using Facebook as the excellent platform for communication and sharing that it is. Most of the fascinating things I read come from something someone else posts online; I think I can pay that one forward. I recognize that this may mean losing some 'friends', and I'm perfectly okay with that, especially since I've been known to 'de-friend' any misogynists, racists, elitists, or other closed-minded individuals that happen across my News Feed. Reader beware, I may also feel the need to use this space of mine in the blogosphere to work through and share what I think about this or that, but I promise to keep the ranting to a minimum in lieu of pictures and other lovely things.

..Greener.. Speaking of unnecessary sources of guilt, for some reason, I keep putting off a really strong inclination to make the way we clean - our apartment, our clothes, our dishes, and our bodies - a little less toxic for both us and the planet. I know it's easy to do, extremely economical, and an important way to contribute to cleaner water and air, but I generally find myself thinking that I'll do it when I have more time, a space that's really mine, and/or access to stores that would stock all of the necessary ingredients. So, in spite of my better judgement, I generally find that we're out of laundry detergent all of a sudden, and with no time to research better products or how to make my own, I reach for that reliable bottle of Gain on the shelf at Smith's. In some ways, we're simple, au natural, DIY folk already, but I know we can do better.
So, specifically, we'll be starting small with orange-infused vinegar cleaner. The stuff is potent and effective, basically free, and definitely free of unnecessary chemicals or icky additives. Plus, we already eat clementines by the box, so orange peels abound, and there is vinegar in the cabinet. It probably won't get any easier than that. It's a little step, but I think it may be a nice impetus for many other, grander changes to come. 

..Bigger.. I'm fully aware that this resolution flies in the face of the hopes and dreams of perhaps 98% of American women, but I have resolved to gain a few healthy pounds this year. Let's just consider it understood that this is actually a challenge that requires a great deal of resolution. For a girl who loves her fruits and veggies, gets her body shape from a lean mama, and spends all of her would-be workout time commuting to and from work, packing on heavy, healthy muscle is just plain hard. But some of the best things in life are, right? Since I don't consider weird protein shakes, supplements, and energy bars to be a viable option, getting bigger will have to be accomplished in the good, old fashioned way - diet and exercise.
So, specifically, I'm determined right now to make a few changes in the way I approach using and nourishing this one body of mine. First, I'm going to exercise, even if I'm tired and I just got off of the train and I don't really want to go back outside into that frozen wasteland to drive to the gym that has too many meatheads and not enough room for the rest of us. And I'll do it at least three times a week. Second, I'm going to get enough calories to both sustain and grow my person from the foods that will actually help me do both, even if I'm not hungry and I don't really like what I packed for lunch and I'm busy at work or play and I'd rather be eating chocolate. And I'll do it five times a day. Because my health and happiness depend upon it.


Them's big goals, them is. Luckily, I have a husband who elbows me in the ribs to speak up when he knows I should (actually, it's usually just a whisper, but it feels like an elbow to the ribs), supports or at least tolerates my many environmental leanings, and consistently gets me in the kitchen and the gym. Also luckily, even though I procrastinated writing about my resolutions, I didn't procrastinate getting started on them. Last week, I posted a news article to Facebook, which is already more activity than my wall has seen in quite a while. And more than once now, I've responded to a direct question with a direct, authentic answer - generally not the answer that was expected or necessarily desired, but so far, the results have always been  neutral, if not pleasant. There is a jar of orange peels and vinegar mellowing in the window of our kitchen, and an apartment that can't wait to be cleaned with the concoction in another week or so. And the number on the scale is creeping upwards, slowly but surely.

These are small things compared to what we have resolved to do this year professionally, academically, financially, and personally, but in many ways, these resolutions are precursors, forerunners, harbingers, for by small and simple things are great things brought to pass. And 2013 is going to be one great year.

Comments

  1. Way to go, Jessica! I personally love hearing your thoughts and look forward to hearing and learning more from you. I finally finished reading Animal, Vegetable, Miracle, which you recommended oh two years ago. (Reading at least one book each month is my new resolution). I loved it!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts