Mote Marine

On Tuesday, my class went field trippin' with the fishies at Mote Marine Laboratory and Aquarium. Mote is really more lab than tourist attraction, which was fine by us. We saw just about everything we've talked about in class so far, with the understandable exception of many of the bigger marine mammals - seals and whales and such. Between the Aquarium and the nearby Marine Mammal Center, there were seahorses and cnidarians and ctenophores and sea stars and bony fishes and cartilaginous fishes and sea turtles and dolphins and manatees and even a few plants and so much more.


After we exhausted the sights to see in the Aquarium and Marine Mammal Center, we participated in an educational program called Rescue, Rehab, and Release, which taught the kids about how scientists at Mote diagnose, treat, and rehabilitate the sick or stranded animals that come to them. This poor green turtle had fibropappiloma, aka sea turtle herpes. No fear, my kiddos fixed him right up and sent him back on his merry sea turtle way. 



It was a fun trip and effectively got us one whole, busy day closer to the end of the term. Now, we're down to just Thursday and Friday. Although there have been a few moments of panic this summer - what in the world am I doing here? can I really do this for two whole months? do I even want to? - I'm now fairly confident that I've got this. All that currently stands between me and  a real summer vacation with Drew is two low-key days of class, a whole lot of paperwork, some meetings with parents, and a 6-hour drive back to Georgia. Bring it on.

Comments

Popular Posts