Update: The Lazy Man Iron Man
Welp, our Lazy Man Iron Man is technically over and done - actually, it has been for a few weeks, but I'm just now getting around to posting about it. The feat was a close-but-no-cigar kind of accomplishment for us. We finished the running and biking (in spite of a serious cycle shortage in the gym) relatively easily and quickly. However, I'm afraid that we're true land-dwellers, not the amphibious type, so the swimming part of this endeavor was a little hard for us. BYU hosts a lot of swim meets for local schools, and the pool is a hot spot for group activities and intramurals, so getting a lane was tough. Plus, there's that whole the-water's-too-cold-and-it's-always-in-my-nose-and-it-reeks-like-chlorine-in-here thing, which fosters a strong aversion to indoor swimming pools. Not to mention BYU's bathing suit rules. Those athletic one-pieces pull in all of the wrong places and offer nothing in the way of comfort. That said, we only made it about a third of the way through our laps; the rest will have to be accrued in an ocean or hot tub or outdoor pool this summer.
Although we fell a little short, we still got our t-shirts for a good effort. And I think we learned a few good things along the way, too.

1. Mind over matter. So much of exercising, especially the long-distance, endurance variety, is mental. I constantly find my head getting tired before my legs or lungs do. Once my mental defenses are down, nasty little thoughts start to creep in: Why did I sign us up for this? Why are there so many so fit people in here? How dare they do this so effortlessly? Go away. I'm tired of running. Quitting wouldn't be so bad. I'm probably going to throw up. Maybe I should throw up. Then I could totally quit. This is stupid. And it hurts. And it's all Drew's fault. The power of determination manifested in a simple I can and will do this, just watch me. cannot be overrated. It ousts doubt and frustration, and typically results in success and relief and pride. Unless, of course, you really do have to throw up. It's best in those circumstances to trust your matter and put a muzzle on your determined mind.
2. Distraction breeds endurance. Let's face it, folks, a treadmill is a terribly boring thing. And a stationary bike is even worse. Miles and miles of exerting all of that energy without the slightest change of scenery - unless you're lucky enough to be in the gym at the same time as a fitness wacko. Those guys can be pretty entertaining with their grunts and groans and swagger. When meatheads were in short supply, we quickly learned that an iPod on a treadmill or book on a bike makes all the difference. Once, I was so engrossed in whatever I was reading that I even rode an extra half mile. Now that's some effective distraction. A few of the receptionists/DJs in the gym have some pretty atrocious tastes in workout music - those country ballads and Disney soundtracks just don't get the blood pumping, buddy - so we've had to find our own.
3. Shared but not the same. Physical endeavors are hugely personal. You're completely alone in it. I had to run my 26.2 miles and bike my 112 miles all by my lonesome (we won't talk about those pesky pool laps). There's no tag-teaming. You run this mile for me and I'll run the next one for you just doesn't fly. Drew was there beside me the whole way, just as sweaty and tired and red in the face as I was, but he was doing it all on his own, too. Exercising for him is a completely different mental and physical experience than it is for me, simply because he's in his body and I'm in mine. Still, we were working on our separate selves together, so at the end of the day, we shared an exhausting, rewarding experience and a sense of accomplishment, and that's been a great thing, even if it's only a shared experience, not exactly the same.

4. It gets easier. When we first started this thing, running a mile was pretty tough. And my bony buns just weren't built for that hard cycle seat (I'm serious. I felt its impression for days afterwards.) But, before you know it, it gets easier. What once made you nauseous now only spawns the smallest of intestinal twinges. And then, before too long, it's no big deal at all. A one-mile run? Beans. A 10-mile bike? Easy peasy. Sadly, the other side of this coin is that it also gets harder. And it gets harder twice as fast as it got easier. It seems like just one week away from the gym puts you back at the starting line at ground zero. I'm afraid that the complement to "it gets easier" just might be Use it or lose it .
Although we fell a little short, we still got our t-shirts for a good effort. And I think we learned a few good things along the way, too.

For your listening pleasure, here are our two favorite workout jams:
My current favorite (Called Into the Dark by Snow Patrol):
"It's like we just can't help ourselves / 'Cause we don't know how to back down...
This is your life / This is your time"
And Drew's (You Are a Tourist by Death Cab for Cutie):
"When there's a burning in your heart / And you think it'll burst apart / Or there's nothing to feel
Save the tears, save the tears / When there's a burning in your heart"
3. Shared but not the same. Physical endeavors are hugely personal. You're completely alone in it. I had to run my 26.2 miles and bike my 112 miles all by my lonesome (we won't talk about those pesky pool laps). There's no tag-teaming. You run this mile for me and I'll run the next one for you just doesn't fly. Drew was there beside me the whole way, just as sweaty and tired and red in the face as I was, but he was doing it all on his own, too. Exercising for him is a completely different mental and physical experience than it is for me, simply because he's in his body and I'm in mine. Still, we were working on our separate selves together, so at the end of the day, we shared an exhausting, rewarding experience and a sense of accomplishment, and that's been a great thing, even if it's only a shared experience, not exactly the same.
We'll try hard to keep on using it.
I am really proud of you both. Congratulations.
ReplyDelete