As You Wish

Our summer vacation has brought with it an unfamiliar ability to do whatever we wish whenever we wish. For Drew, this has meant cutting ties with his razor and scizzors and not shaving or getting a haircut all summer, and he had some pretty nice, though fairly scraggly, facial hair accumulating on his chin and upper lip. I'm not sure what sparked the change, but at 11pm last night, he decided that the beard had to go. He did, however, leave behind a few remnants of his effortless hair growing efforts in the form of a mustache and soul patch, and now I can't look at him without thinking of the dashing Westley from The Princess Bride.

This look-alike continues in the back with just enough hair at the nape of his neck for a tiny braid. Drew's mom says he always wanted to be Westley when he was little; Drew says he still wants to be Westley. It looks to me like all of his dreams are coming true, with the exception of the specifics concerning his one true love. Apart from sometimes overly volumous hair, I'm afraid I don't very closely resemble Princess Buttercup. Luckily for us, the happily ever after in this fairy tale doesn't require me to be blonde or utterly helpless in all semi-dangerous situations (she's even worse in the book than in the movie). Drew still came for me and even though "true love has never been a snap," "it all ends up okay." Much, much better than okay.

Westley: Hear this now: I will always come for you.
Buttercup: But how can you be sure?
Westley: This is true love; you think this happens every day?

Westley: I told you I would always come for you. Why didn't you wait for me?
Buttercup: Well... you were dead.
Westley: Death cannot stop true love. All it can do is delay it for a while.
Buttercup: I will never doubt again.
Westley: There will never be a need.

True love doesn't happen every day; I sure am glad it happened to us.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts