A Sunday Stroll around Falls Lake

This weekend brought with it some of the first glimpses of springtime we've had so far this year. Raleigh's particularly wintry winter has lingered a little longer than I appreciate, and I'm afraid it's not over yet - rain and cooler temperatures are in store this week. But Saturday and Sunday were a different story, with sunshine abounding and temperatures in the 70s. We mostly relaxed around our apartment on Saturday; we did go to the gym in the morning and walked to the grocery store for lunch ingredients, but we spent a lot of the afternoon napping and laying about. I had a nasty bout of pregnancy-induced sciatica in my leg, which is minimized by laying on my back with my feet up in the air, so I did just that with a good book. After an evening of Chinese take-out, ice cream, and Rush on Saturday, we were eager the next day to take better advantage of the temporarily beautiful weather.

Usually, once we get back from church on Sunday, it's too late for much of an adventure, but Daylight Savings helped us out this weekend, giving us the extra hour of daytime we needed for a good, long walk in the woods. We went just across the street to the Falls Dam and Visitor Assistance Center for a hike around Falls Lake. Koda and I visited the same park in August, but we wandered around a completely different part of it on Sunday, nowhere near the actual dam. The trail we took this time was paved for the most part, with access to more rugged trails along the way. Although the park is located smack dab in the middle of suburbia and while the trail is pretty tame, there was plenty of wildness to wonder at, and it felt so good to see new signs of life after quite a few weeks of being cooped up inside.


Our stroll and our afternoon were lovely; I foresee frequent encores when le bébé arrives.

Comments

Popular Posts