Amicalola Falls
After a couple of stops, we made it to Amicalola Falls State Park, and, after a few rounds in the parking lot, found a suitable parking spot. We parked near the Reflection Pool and hiked the 625 or so steps to the top of the falls. It rained as we were driving to the park; although we hoped the weather might dampen the crowds, I think it only further dampened the air, making the humidity pretty oppressive. Consequently, all six of us were much more than mildly perspiring; we'll call it glistening.
In spite of the humidity, and, at some points, the traffic, the hike was really fun and definitely refreshing. The falls are the highest in Georgia and are considered one of the state's seven natural wonders. I've lived in Georgia for most of my life, and Amicalola Falls is the only one of the seven wonders I've been to; we might need to do something about that. The trail we hiked to the top of the falls eventually connects with a trail that leads to the southern-most point of the Appalachian Trail; experiencing that natural wonder is also on our to-do list.
^ Spotted jewelweed. The chemicals in its stem are a natural remedy for poison ivy; good to know. ^
^ One of the tallest trees I've seen in a long time (maybe ever?) ^
^ North American millipede ^
^ The top of the falls ^
^ A view of the Blue Ridge Mountains ^
At the top of the falls, we kept going a little further to the Amicalola Falls Lodge for some A/C, a bathroom break, and a game of checkers.
In spite of the humidity, and, at some points, the traffic, the hike was really fun and definitely refreshing. The falls are the highest in Georgia and are considered one of the state's seven natural wonders. I've lived in Georgia for most of my life, and Amicalola Falls is the only one of the seven wonders I've been to; we might need to do something about that. The trail we hiked to the top of the falls eventually connects with a trail that leads to the southern-most point of the Appalachian Trail; experiencing that natural wonder is also on our to-do list.
Comments
Post a Comment