Three Years!
Sorry, folks, but I need to interrupt our regularly scheduled programming (sharing that fantastic road trip of ours) to document a milestone in our lives as Mr. and Mrs. Barnes. As of today, Drew and I have been married for three whole years - still solid newlyweds for sure, but gaining some respectable age, don't you think?
At three-years-wed, we continue to settle quite comfortably into each other and this married life, but we are, in most obvious ways, more unsettled right now than we have ever been together. We have no house, I have no job, and Drew is just two weeks into a new one. Without bills or kids or pets, our ties to the real world are very few and flimsy. Half of the time, it's easy to bask in the lightness of our circumstances, especially since we know how temporary it all is. But sometimes, that feeling of just floating through our days leaves me feeling a little lightheaded. So, today we're thinking fondly of our last three years, laughing a little at this weird three weeks we're in now, and looking excitedly forward to the next three years and the grounding (as in ties to this place, not punishment) they are bound to bring.
Given that whole homeless bit, we are currently living on the good graces of Drew's grandparents, who have so kindly invited us to a sleepover in their spare bedroom with a very hazy end date until we find more suitable and more permanent lodging for ourselves. While sitting at their computer one day, I discovered these little gems from our very first anniversary, which I had never seen before:
At three-years-wed, we continue to settle quite comfortably into each other and this married life, but we are, in most obvious ways, more unsettled right now than we have ever been together. We have no house, I have no job, and Drew is just two weeks into a new one. Without bills or kids or pets, our ties to the real world are very few and flimsy. Half of the time, it's easy to bask in the lightness of our circumstances, especially since we know how temporary it all is. But sometimes, that feeling of just floating through our days leaves me feeling a little lightheaded. So, today we're thinking fondly of our last three years, laughing a little at this weird three weeks we're in now, and looking excitedly forward to the next three years and the grounding (as in ties to this place, not punishment) they are bound to bring.
Given that whole homeless bit, we are currently living on the good graces of Drew's grandparents, who have so kindly invited us to a sleepover in their spare bedroom with a very hazy end date until we find more suitable and more permanent lodging for ourselves. While sitting at their computer one day, I discovered these little gems from our very first anniversary, which I had never seen before:
After three years, we're much better at a lot of marital things, including, I promise, kissing (although we're probably still no better at kissing in front of a camera). It - all of it - really does get better and better every year.
Happy Anniversary, Love!


Comments
Post a Comment