Mount Jefferson
Today our class successfully completed our third field trip, this time to Mount Jefferson State Natural Area. For the unaware, our class is called "Science on the Appalachian Trail", although we will never actually set foot on the A.T. (it runs along the North Carolina/Tennessee border making it well outside of our 30-mile allowance for field trips). We do, however, explore as many of the other natural areas around here as possible, with a triple purpose of 1. seeing the sights because they are indeed great sights to see, 2. accruing useful knowledge about the rocks, plants, animals, and processes found in the Appalachians, and 3. developing a wide range of scientific skills. Our class blends geology, ecology, and even a little sociology, and this trip marked our transition from studying rocks to studying plants.
Because this excursion included a rather involved field study for the students, there was plenty of time for me to stop along the trail to marvel at all of the different plants and critters while they made their measurements and observations.
While the near-sighted views along the trail were wonderful, the far-sighted views of the valley were also amazing, as usual in this part of the world.
Three field trips to relatively dangerous craggy cliffs down, and all 16 students still alive and well. Sounds like success to me. Plus, I'm fairly certain that they're learning a few things along the way, and I'm completely certain that I am.
| That's Mt. Jefferson in the background with a Forest Service tower on top of it. |
Because this excursion included a rather involved field study for the students, there was plenty of time for me to stop along the trail to marvel at all of the different plants and critters while they made their measurements and observations.
While the near-sighted views along the trail were wonderful, the far-sighted views of the valley were also amazing, as usual in this part of the world.
Three field trips to relatively dangerous craggy cliffs down, and all 16 students still alive and well. Sounds like success to me. Plus, I'm fairly certain that they're learning a few things along the way, and I'm completely certain that I am.





Comments
Post a Comment